This section provides basic information regarding key Federal resources that will assist with the employment of people with disabilities in the Federal government.
See Promising Practices!
The Federal Framework identifies existing, promising, and emerging proactive and dynamic employment strategies and practices for recruiting, hiring, advancing, and retaining qualified individuals with disabilities. These strategies and practices can assist Federal agencies in making their workplaces inclusive of and welcoming to people with disabilities.
The practices are organized into seven action areas:
- Lead the Way: Inclusive Agency-Wide Culture
- Hire (and Keep) the Best: Personnel Processes
- Ensure Productivity: Reasonable Accommodation Procedures
- Build the Pipeline: Outreach and Recruitment
- Communicate: External and Internal Communication of Agency Policies and Practices
- Be Tech Savvy: Accessible Information and Communication Technology
- Grow Success: Accountability and Continuous Improvement
By identifying, adopting, and refining these employment strategies and practices, and making them part of your agency’s strategic plan, your agency will benefit from having people with disabilities as part of its vibrant, diverse workforce. To learn more, see the documents and links that follow:
- Summary of Promising and Emerging Practices for Enhancing the Employment of Individuals with Disabilities Included in Plans Submitted by Federal Agencies under Executive Order 13548 — Identifies promising and emerging practices for advancing the recruitment, hiring, and retention of individuals with disabilities identified in 10 selected agency plans submitted under Executive Order 13548.
- Federal Agency Employment Strategies — A Framework for Disability Inclusion — Identifies existing, promising, and emerging proactive and dynamic employment strategies and practices for recruiting, hiring, advancing, and retaining qualified individuals with disabilities. This tool can assist Federal agencies in making their workplaces inclusive of and welcoming to people with disabilities.
- Office of Personnel Management – Disability Employment Website -- As the Nation's largest employer, the Federal Government has a special responsibility to lead by example in including people with disabilities in the workforce. This website contains important information for federal agencies to use in recruiting, hiring, and retaining individuals with disabilities and targeted disabilities.
Federal Framework Marketing Card (download)